Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What makes you choose which game to play?

Since my new extended interest in online games I have been spending a lot of time searching the internet for them. I am so overwhelmed with the amount of games out there. I had no idea there could possibly be this many. It is not just there are so many game websites; there are so many games on each site. Check out the menu on this site http://www.friv.com/. No words just games.


I have found my patience is running a bit thin, as I search for various games. If the site doesn’t load fast enough, I exit and find a new one. Since games require the use of video they are sometimes rather slow to load. Game developers are surely aware of this though; one site I encountered, http://www.funschoolkaboose.com/, had a game to play as you were waiting for your game to load.
So how do you choose from so many options? Well in my daughter’s case, it is all based on a familiar character. She gets excited about any of the characters she watches on TV. Fortunately the networks thought of this and created websites based around the shows they offer. For example, both Treehouse and Playhouse Disney have websites in which you can access various games, each based on the characters or themes of the TV shows they provide. Sage can play a Little Einsteins game and when she is done with that she can play a Strawberry Shortcake game from the same website.

When I showed her the game about learning the words of colors (the one for the experiment I am doing), she played it for a little bit, but she wasn’t as into it as some of the other games. I think it is because it is not based on one of her TV shows. I can also tell that the animation is not as good as some of the others, so maybe she notices that stuff too (subconsciously I’m sure). Nevertheless she has already played a couple intervals of the game so the process has begun. I have also started teaching her words of numbers on the chalk board. I think she tires of that quicker then the video game. We were playing school and I was the teacher, but it didn’t take long before she wanted to be the teacher. If you have kids, you know how it goes.










5 comments:

  1. Interesting observations - thanks for sharing them. It would be interesting to find out what it is about the characters that draws her in. The crossover with TV is no doubt the biggest part of this, but I wonder what drew her to these characters in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. You know, I think the other kids at daycare as well as her cousins influence what she likes/dislikes a lot. I notice she likes to watch the same things that she watches at daycare, or has seen at her cousins. That makes me wonder though, does she like to watch that stuff becasue she's already familiar with it (just like why she's playing those video games), or is it becasue she likes the other kids and wants to be like them? That's going to be a tough one to figure out.

    ReplyDelete