Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Sims





I stand corrected. The graphics in the Sims series of computer games are impeccable! The characters look so real, they move just like we move. I would say this game is comparable to the same violent computer games I ranted about last post. Now, the big question is, do they hold any educational value? Do I want my kids or students playing this game? For starters, it’s not violent, so it already gets a go ahead from me compared to its aggressive components. There are a variety of games that are the Sims. There’s The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, and the Sims 4 is in the works. Within each of the versions, there are different collections available. The main idea is that you create virtual people and place them in homes (that you can build if you want). You give these people desires and help them reach personal goals. At one point The Sims was the best selling video game of all times. How does it educate? Well, it’s not a traditional educational computer game that presents you with information and then you regurgitate it after wards. Instead, it incorporates real life situations and has you, the player deal with them. It’s more of a tangential type of learning.

The reviews that I’ve encountered say that the game is not for a young audience, but rather for those around 16 years and up (even those the ESRB says it’s appropriate for teens). Apparently you can quite easily incorporate mature behaviour like sex and swearing.

The Sims 2 has a Best of Business Collection in which you build your own business from the bottom up. A wonderful case study for inspiring entrepreneurs.

The Sims 3 Ambitions lets you choose from a variety of career opportunities and you control their actions while they are on the job.

By my investigation it appears that the Sims teaches valuable life skills, more so, then school skills. This should not be under minded though. These skills are essential and if our youth can learn this stuff while they are having a great time playing the computer game, mission accomplished.

Check out the trailer to The Sims 2: Apartment life. Your Sim is looking for an apartment but must consider a variety of compromises, just like in real life. You may love the apartment, but not the neighbourhood. Maybe you can only afford it if you have a roommate, can you live with somebody else?

Personally I enjoy architecture and interior design, so I want to check out The Sims 3: High-End Loft.



3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Kim, and I'm always pleased to see when edugames incorporate some of the same graphics muscle as popular first person shooters. You raise an interesting issue around the Sims' main educational contribution being tangential. I think one of the central issues we are grappling with as educators is what is tangential vs. tied to a curriculum. As students build personal learning networks, and as we see more self-directed learning skills developing, I wonder what will happen to our definitions of tangential vs. central?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this blog Kim. I used to play a lot of computer games, then I got a life and don't have the time, but I used to play the first generation of the SIMS and enjoyed it. I think I liked building my house and buying cool stuff for it more than the game itself, but looking at the new game makes me want to play it all over again!

    ReplyDelete