Monday, May 24, 2010

I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader.


Are you? Challenge yourself and find out. Download this temporary version of the game. “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader” is a TV game show meant to entertain but does hold some educational value as well. Its a quiz type game show asking questions that you'd learn about in early elementary school. I know it sounds easy, but try it - are you smarter than a 5th grader? Few people are. I used to watch the show, and its amazing how hard some of the questions are. Sometimes I know I learned the information at some point, but have obviously just forgotten it over the years. Other times I think I never did learn it - although maybe I did and it didn't register in long term memory so it is entirely forgotten.

I think this is a great example of how our television can work as a medium to provide both entertainment and education, just like computer games. Now, when TV first came out there were all these speculations that TVs would take over the education world. We would not longer need teachers, because TVs can teach our children. There were educational shows broadcast and I am sure you’ll all agree that TV can be an educational medium to an extent. I think the computer era is much the same as the introduction of the television. Computers do have great educational value (even more so than TV since a computer is interactive), but lets not jump to conclusions in thinking its going to replace the need of teachers in a structured educational environment, because I don’t think they ever will. (Or at least not in a future near enough that I’ll still be teaching in it).

No comments:

Post a Comment