Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Girl Power

Computer games or video games in general have always been more of a boy thing. More and more however girls are getting interested as well. Are computer games now being developed for a wider audience, including more female interests?

I am a girl, and speaking from experience, I have never really been that into computer games or any type of video games. I do remember playing Mario Brothers on the Super Nintendo with my brother way back when Super Nintendo was cool. I would have never asked for the system myself, but since we had it (because of my brother) I played it, and enjoyed it. If there would have been more girlie games then would’ve I played more? Maybe, there’s a real life computer game about shopping, called the internet, and I like to play that game :)

This article, Why are boy so attracted to video games, states that computer games are more of a ‘boy thing’ because of content, marketing, learning styles and social styles. Interesting point on the social styles; the article compares a mother wanting a heart to heart with their daughter, may sit down on the daughter’s bed and start talking. A father however, wanting to have a meaningful conversation with a son might do so while shooting hoops. Boys often get close while interacting while playing games.

There are entire websites of games dedicated specifically to the female audience. They are considered ‘girl games’ because they contain female characters like Barbie or Miley Cyrus, or they are centered around more girlie activities like shopping and babysitting. This one site, made for girls, Go girls only, has a variety of games and activities. Most of the games were actually kind of boring, they are based on recycling and sun safety, but it did have one neat activity. The activity is called Uniquely Me, you create a collage of things that define you. Your favourite color, what you’re good at, things you’re thankful for. I found it very encouraging. Here's my collage.

Another site, called Pimp My Computer , (I’m not a big fan of the name) is dedicated to games in which you play dress up. Now, the clothes are beginning to get a little scantily clad here but maybe this is our nemesis, just as is violence in boy’s games.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Kim. I've often wondered about this too. Is there a possibility that we are reinforcing stereotypes with our game designs? It's interesting to see how Interactive toys like Webkinz pets promote nurturing and caring -- something stereotypically assigned to girls, but the toy seems to attract boys too. I wonder if we will see more games/toys that appeal to both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you in the text reading this week about how boys benefit more from computer game time in the classroom than girls. It's interesting how the games for girls center on very stereotypical themes...I know I was totally addicted to Professor Layton and the diabolical box, but it wasn't the characters, setting, or interface that I loved...it was all the awesome puzzles! I wonder if the purpose or goal of the game trumps the theme?

    ReplyDelete